We’re so lucky to live in a time where being single at 22 isn’t seen as a bad thing anymore. Back when my grandparents were my age, it was expected that you got married and had at least one child by the age 20! I honestly can’t imagine having to have found a man to tie myself to for the rest of my life and also have a kid to look after at this age…I can only just look after myself!
Now I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with people who do this, I know plenty of people my age that have kids, some of which are married too and they’re really happy. But that just isn’t for me!
Even thought things have changed and there’s no longer a stigma around being single, I still get people constantly asking me why I’m single and why I’ve not found a guy to settle down with yet. Simple answer- I don’t want to!
So I thought I’d make a post for all my fellow single ladies, and to show just how blooming great it can be!
01. You don’t have to share your bed. Now I don’t know about you but I love to sprawl all over my bed and hate sharing it! Being single means no legs kicking you in the back and no one trying to steal your covers!
02. You can watch whatever you want on the tv. If you want to watch reruns of The Worst Witch and Charmed you can do, no one next to you moaning that they don’t like it and want to watch something else. As if it’s actually possible not to love The Worst Witch anyway!
03. You don’t have to leave the house if you don’t want to. If you want to just curl up in bed and have a lazy day that involves nothing more than eating your own body weight in chocolate, you can. No one nagging you do something when you don’t want to.
04. You can have random nights in with the girls. Or guys, whatever your thing is, you can have a random night in with your bestie…provided they aren’t like mine who doesn’t live near me and neither of us can drive…that one sucks!
05. You can eat crisps as loudly as you want. Okay this one is probably just exclusive to me and my ex but he would go ballistic if I ate crisps around him, as he said he couldn’t stand the sound and would get really pissy if I did it.
06. If you want to just lounge around in your underwear with a glass of wine you can. Okay so for me it’s probably a big mug of coffee or hot chocolate as I’m not really much of a drinker outside social situations but you get the general idea. If you just want to lounge around in your comfies and have some “me time” you can do. No having to give someone else your attention, you can focus completely on you.
07. You save money on Christmas and Birthday presents. This gives you more money to spend on yourself, hello new lipstick! Or you know, more money to spend on your parents at Christmas which is what I usually do because I love treating them.
08. No more one minute wonders. I’ll just leave this one here, you know exactly what I’m talking about ladies!
A twenty-four-year-old autistic writer and designer from Sheffield. Tattoo obsessed, animal lover, self confessed bookworm and eclectic witch.